Saturday, January 22, 2005

Hacking vs Cracking

Though the two terms seem to be used interchangebly, I prefer the definition that hacking is trying to do more,better, etc with a Operating System, Protocol, hardwire device, etc. Like the difference between a factory stock car and a hot rod or racing car.

For sure there are 'white hat" and "black hat" hackers and I for one think that"cracking" implies just that as in cracking open like a egg. Though the same analogy could apply to hacking, as in hacking open the door. Since these days they both have acquired different meanings than what they meant orginally I prefer "white hat" and "black hat" hackers as being more accurate and meaningfull.

I want to do research before I gve some examples, but will return to this subject in a future post.